The Bright and Sunny Nook

It's time I took you to the little corner of my house that I pay visit to severals time in a day. No, it's not the kitchen! We are talking about the patio! 



Our patio faces the road with continue flow of traffic. The zoom-zoom of cars, the sirens of fire trucks and ambulances, occasional honking and the most-dreaded red-and-blue lights from the cops' cars keep us entertained round the clock. But what I like best about this patio is that it gets to greet the rising sun every morning and the latter very gratefully provides it's company to our patio for most part of the day.

All in a month's time


Now that makes our patio a perfect place for gardening :)

Tomatoes on the right... They grow so fast!

I am no expert; but the pieces of gardening knowledge I get from my family plus what I learn from the internet plus my common sense (oh! yes! I have some gardening-common-sense), has helped me grow a tiny garden in the patio. A garden that is small enough to give us room to walk around and pull our chairs for evening chit-chats; and big enough to keep my spirits high.

Trying my luck with Cilantro in that big round container!


I like to grow my plants from seeds. The entire process of sowing the tiny seeds to waiting for them to germinate, replanting in bigger pots and watching them grow some flowers and fruits is so pleasurable. Much better than getting potted plants from nurseries.  

I was away in India for most part of the early spring- the perfect time to sow your seeds. By the time I could throw the first handful of seeds into the pots, it was already June! But I did not give in for the potted plants (except a couple!). 

Marigold

Methi (Fenugreek)

Wild Flowers

Chick Pea - For fun ;)


That's how my garden looks after one month. Far from bearing flowers or fruits but the greenery and beauty the small plants add, makes me a happy girl.

Mind you, I have already harvested the first lot of methi (fenugreek leaves)!




The corner with chairs you see below, is my morning spot to soak up some sun and see the husband drive off to work. Late afternoon, I just sit there with my phone or iPad for a round of online social networking. On days, when the TV fails to pull us and the weather outside is too gorgeous too ignore, the evening tea is served right here. Sometimes, I just don't need a reason to grab my seat in the patio. I sit there looking at my plants and feeling good about them.



These are an average steel and polypropylene chairs, initially bought for use in the house but since they did not fit in any of the rooms, I decided to put them in the patio. Now the concern here was the direct sun light, which could harm the plastic, eventually leading it to crack. I did not want to take chances with that, so I grabbed the hand-woven, cotton rugs (looking at the size, I'd better call them mats), given by SIL, and threw them on the chairs. Looks perfect. Fits perfect. And the neutral color tone of these 'mats' do not take the focus away from my plants. Win! Win!



Talking about chairs, I recently came across the Complete Guide to Modern Chairs by One King's Lane. These guys definitely do their homework well. You'd know what I am talking about, if you check out the guide. They have names and categories for all kinds of chairs. Makes it so easy to identify what kind of chair you'd like in the house and shop accordingly, making your nook all the more appealing and comfortable.



Don't we all have a little corner in our house that we are fond of? Mine for sure is this patio (at least until the winter falls upon us). How about you? What's your favorite spot in the house?





Comments

  1. Wow Tanya your patio looks so beautiful with all those greens and handwoven rugs!! Lovely transformation of a place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Disha :) Hoping to see some flowers soon :)

      Delete
  2. Tanya, you have such a lovely spot and the little garden is coming along nicely! You've done such a good job with it! Thank you for sharing and thank you for the visit and sweet comment at The Dedicated House. It means the world. Feel free to share this post or any other at my Make it Pretty Monday party which is still live. Here is the link if you want to check it out. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2014/06/make-it-pretty-monday-week-105.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your appreciation and the invite. I just hopped over to find some amazing people there. Thanks for bringing them all under the same roof!

      Delete
  3. No corner Tanya and love your greens...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nayana... but I definitely need to draw some inspiration from you and make it better!

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous patio Tanya and loved your herb garden and the greens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank u, Auro! I am on a hunt for a conch now :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear your views...

Popular Posts