Karva Chauth 2011

Festivities have started and soon we'll be home to celebrate Diwali. This was our last weekend in US before we leave for India. Amidst all the packing and shopping, we celebrated the festival of Karva Chauth on Saturday.

Since, a lot of my friends as non-Indians, I'll take a quick turn and share some information about Karva Chauth. Karva Chauth is an annual festival celebrated mostly by the Hindus and Sikhs in India. The married women fast from sunrise to moonrise for the safety and long life of their husbands. The fast begins with dawn. The women refrain from food and fluids (including water) till the moon rises. Once the women see the moon, they worship it and pray for their husbands' longevity.



My favorite design of the day
Pin It



A touch of Arabic style in the design
Pin It



Left hand's artwork: I turn into an ambidextrous on Karva Chauth.
Pin It  



Could have been better, if my left hand had not given up.
Pin It



Though, it sounds difficult to spend the day without water, there are several things which make the fasting interesting. For me, fasting means, no cooking. No cooking means, no dishes to do and no cleaning *smile*. A day off from kitchen means time for other things. A chance to apply henna and boss around because you cannot do much with henna on the hands. Dress up and click as many photographs as you can!




This is how it turned out to be
Pin It



... and this!
Pin It



Karva Chauth this year was a little unconventional for us. We spent most of the time in the mall. Came back, watched Big Boss (Indian version of Big Brother) and went off to sleep. Woke up for the rituals, ate to our stomach's content and slept again *grin*



Rituals



Sanket fasts with me. I know how important the morning cup of tea is to him. Karva Chauth is the only day of the year when he gives it up. I believe, there are other things that he values more than tea *smile*. I hope God has heard our prayers and showered upon us a lifetime of togetherness!







P.S.- Last year's Karva Chauth updates can be found here.




Partying @ Pin Inspirational Thursdays,  Feature Yourself Friday,   Frugal Friday,   Flaunt it Friday,   In Spotlight of Spooks and Sparkles,  Itz' Festival Time,  Weekend Wrap Up Party,  Newbie Party,  Mad Skills Party,  Creative Bloggers' Party and Hop,  Craft Catwalk,  Craftastic Monday,  Just Something I Whipped Up,  The Weekly Story,  Making the World Cuter,  Market Yourself Monday,  Craft Link Party,  Sharing Monday,  Nifty Thrifty Tuesday,  Anti-Procrastination Tuesday,  



Comments

  1. I luved ur mehendi n 2 see ur mehendi i read d previous karwa chauth artioicle 2 ...but i must say ur style of writing has changed d way u r presenting ur blog has changed n i luved reading it.....wish i knew u apply so butiful mehendi i wud hav asked 4 a lifetime favour of apllying lifetime mehendi...n whats more surprising is ur left hand applying it butifully on ur right hand kudos 2 left hand especialyyy....butifulll is a small wrd splendid

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful and meaningful tradition. Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. luv ur mehendi n tanya u r a pro at it!!!!lovely couple u both make....

    http://megalivingg.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are really good at putting Mehndi!!! And you looked lovely in your Saree and open locks!

    ♡ from © tanvii.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow..your mahendi is gorgeous and you look beautiful in sari:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute. Real cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. All designs are so nice! I love henna or mehndi :) you can check my designs at my blog :)
    All the best dear..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! Henna has always intrigued me and your mehndi is just gorgeous! How sweet of your husband to fast with you. Thanks for sharing.

    I'm hosting my monthly Before Blogging Throwback Thursdays party and would love it if you'd come and share something you made/did/bought sometime before blogging. Can't wait to see what you share at the party.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What lovely mehndi.. gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Tanya...How r u? hope you had a great diwali...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tanya, your mendhi is gorgeous...left and right. I haven't had mendhi since I got married and what an honor that was. I can't wait to see your pictures when you come back from India. I hope you enjoyed Diwali! When you get back check out my post "Hooray for Bollywood".

    Paula
    http://ivyandelephants.blogspot.com/2011/11/hooray-for-bollywood.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so beautiful- the 4th image exceptionally so! I am following along so I can find out more! Hope you can hop over to Elle an Lou for a visit. Lou

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely designs.. I love those green bangles too... !!

    Thanks for linking to the blog party... !! The party is open upto Jan 5th 2012. Hope to see you in with more and more entries ;-) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You can just buy Best Gulab Jamun in india on kanwarjis sweet shop. It’s the best of all Indian sweets, Gulab jamuns are popular all over India.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear your views...

Popular Posts