Things is the kitchen stir up towards the end of the grocery-shopping cycle. You have already used up your favorite items and also the ones that are quick and easy to cook. That's when the real brainstorming starts. You have to work your way with what is left in the refrigerator and on the shelves. Random items here and there are put together to prepare what can be called a 'meal'!
I found myself in the same dilemma last night. With only a lettuce in one corner of the refrigerator and no other ingredients to accompany the green leaves, salad was ruled out as an option. This is when chicken came to rescue and a happy me, cheerfully declared- 'We are having Lettuce Wrap for dinner tonight!'
Now, I had never made a Lettuce Wrap before and I knew the recipes on the internet would list a thousand ingredients, which I did not have the royalty to possess.
Instead, I used any and everything that I could lay my hands on and came up with a yummy meal.
|Lettuce Wrap and Chicken Soup - It's Dinner Time!|
1. Iceberg Lettuce Leaves - 6
2. Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts - 2 pieces
3. Ginger-Garlic Paste - 1 tablespoon
4. Cooking Oil - 2 tablespoons
5. Green Onions - 1 cup
6. Carrot Juliennes - 1/2 cup
7. Boiled Beans - 1/2 cup
8. Corn Kernels - 1/2 cup
9. Peanuts - 1/3 cup
10. Cooked Rice - 3 tablespoons (Optional)
11. Buffalo Sauce - 3 tablespoons or to taste
12. Salt to taste
13. Ranch to drizzle on top
1. Cut the chicken into small pieces.
2. In a pan, heat oil and then add the chicken pieces.
3. Add ginger-garlic paste and a little salt to speed up the cooking process.. Cover and cook till the chicken is done.
4. Meanwhile, dry roast the peanuts in another pan. Alternatively, put the peanut in the microwave for a minute and they'd be good to use.
5. Once the chicken is cooked, add carrot, beans, peanuts and corn. Add some more salt to balance it for the recently added ingredients.
6. Mix well and cook in an open pan, till the carrots and corns are cooked. You'll notice a slight change in color.
7. Add green onion and rice. Cook for another minute.
8. Add in the Buffalo Sauce and mix thoroughly.
9. Take the mixture off the flame and let it cool for 2 minutes.
10. Now spread this mixture on the lettuce leaves, drizzle some Ranch on top and serve.
|Since we could not hold ourselves to get the camera out and take pictures before eating, |
iPhone photos are what you get to see!
Not the most authentic Lettuce Wrap Recipe but hey! I am not claiming it to be Asian in taste. This is my 'Whatcha-Got' Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wrap that worked very well for me on a day when I was running short on supplies.
'K'reative 'K'ooking on Kreative Korner, what say!! :D :D
Off to grocery shopping.... TaDaaa...